Thursday, August 02, 2007

AgileScotland Update

Hi everyone,
 
Meetings
 
My apologies, but while I've been working away I have let things slip a little with the AgileScotland meetings.  I'm on holiday for the next few weeks and then I'm only working 2 or 3 days each week down south, so I will soon get my act together!  We are planning an informal summer get-together planned for late august and I have a session with a minor agile celebrity lined up for September.  More details to come.
 
Jobs:
 
1) I've just heard about a new job in scotland working on a top-notch XP team.  See Job One below.
 
2) I've also been contacted about a job working for someone I trust, but not in an agile team.  "I am looking for someone who can take high level (or low level) requirements directly from clients, analyse them and design the required system  he/she also needs to document these into our sttandard templates before passing it onto the dev. team/s".  The team works moslty with .net.
 
If you are interested then email me - clarke.ching@gmail.com - and I'll put you in touch with the right people.
 
For the record: I don't take any payments, bribes or favours of any kind for this - it's all part of the service.  If you have an Agile job on offer or are looking for an agile job then I'm only an email away.
 
Clarke
 
Job One:
 
Description
In response to business growth, we're looking for a Java developer to join our XP team operating inside a major Glasgow-based financial services firm. Our team is reponsible for the production of an web-based portfolio management system which won the International Credit Derivatives House of the Year award. To further extend our offering to clients, we're currently focussing on the development of real-time web-based scenario analysis and parallel pricing functionality using grid computing, Spring MVC, AJAX and Sybase.

Our team follows Extreme Programming practices to ensure quality of service and frequent delivery of the most valuable functionality to our clients. As such, the role would involve the participation in XP practices ranging from test-driven development and pair programming to iteration retrospectives and planning game exercises.
 
Technical Competencies:
Essential:
        Test Driven Development
Java / JSP / J2EE using Spring MVC
SQL (Transact SQL)
AJAX / Javascript
        UNIX scripting
        Ruby and Watir framework
Desirable
        Grid computing (Symphony)
        Pricing models
        Web design/HTML
        Extreme Programming

Person Specification:
The candidate should be degree educated in a relevant discipline and have 4+ years of experience in delivering solid application solutions for business. Exceptional candidates with less experience will also be considered.
Strong communication and team-working skills are essential as is the desire to share expertise and contribute as part of an XP team. Knowledge of credit derivative products and pricing models would be an advantage.

Timescales/Start Date:
As soon as possible.