Friday, September 14, 2007

Programmers are from Mars, Customers are from Venus, but why does everyone think that Project Managers are from Uranus?

Hi everyone,
 
Can you please email me if you are planning on coming to this session on monday the 24th,  so that I can order snacks and ensure I have enough handouts?  I'll forgive you if you can't make it on the day though.  Modesty aside, I think you'll learn lots of useful stuff if you do - including the most useful tool I've ever used.
 
When you email me - at clarke.ching@gmail.com - can you also tell me:
 
1) Are you a manager, a non-manager or other/both?
 
2) Can you tell me something that annoys you about "them", in general.  You can send me a few annoyances if you like, or none.  A couple of sentences per annoyance should do.  I'll collate them offline.
 
It would help if you write it in the form
 - As a developer/analyst/tester/other I find it really annoying when my project manager does this ...
 - As a PM I find it really annoying when my staff [doen't] do this ...
 
e.g. As a project manager I find it annoying when I ask my developers how long a task will take and they ask me "how long is a piece of string?.
e.g. As a developer I find it annoying when my Project Manager doesn't give me enough time to do my job properly.
e.g. As a developer I hate it when my PM prints of code I've written, reads it over the weekend, then gives me corrections - written in read ink - on Monday morning.
 
It'd be helpful if you tell me if this behaviour happened in an Agile environment or other.
 
 
thanks,
 
Clarke