Monday, September 08, 2008

AgileScotland - taking a breather, congratulations, and a possible course?

Hi everyone,
 
A few things. 
 
1.  I'm very busy with work commitments during the next few months so I'm not going to have the time to organise any meetings for the rest of the year.  Apologies.  If anyone would like to organise something then please contact me.
 
2.  Our congratulations must go to the somewhat gifted, but media-shy, Agile Team working in South Queensferry who produced this: http://www.soundunwound.com/
 
3.  Good luck to Bill Birnie from Standard Life who is presenting "Agile - Why should your business care?"  I am very hopeful that Bill will tell us his story one day - I used to work with Bill and his story is remarkable; when the hero in my book looks in the mirror I see Bills face.  Btw: it's unfortunate, but Bill's session is on at exactly the same time as my TDD for Managers workshop
 
Well done Scotland :)
 
Finally, I've been approached by some folk who would like to run an Agile course here in Scotland. (They're also running the course in London.)
 
Here's the outline:
 
Practical Scrum for new Masters -  Liz Sedley. Willem Van den Ende and David Hoehn.
This course is designed for recent graduates of a CSM courses containing practical advise to make the first few months of being a Scrum Master easier.
 
Built around your questions and the things that baffle you, now that you are a Scrum Master, this course will try to give you some patterns, exercises, coaching skills and visibility tip and tricks that are easy to understand and apply but took us some time to find.
 
In this practical workshop we will discuss and develop core skills needed to be a scrum master:
  * Using Burndown Charts (and how to interpret them)
  * Increasing Visibility (with your team and your organisation)
  * Being a Scrum Master (and how to avoid old Project Manager habits)
  * Retrospectives (exercises we have learned that seem to work well)
  * Selforganised Teams (situational leadership and how it affects such teams)
  * What do I do now? (Let us talk about your issues and find some patterns that might help you deal with it)
  * Kaizen (How can you continually improve and thus shape Scrum without breaking its principles)
 
The outline looks very useful but I can't personally vouch for the course since I don't know the presenters particularly well,.  If you are interested in attending then contact me and I'll see what I can arrange.
 
Clarke